The Digital Learning Games international Master’s programme is offering a one-week course on designing serious games.
Serious games are games designed for a purpose other than just entertainment. This purpose can relate to defense, education, science, health care, emergency management, urban planning, engineering, politics, and so on. In the Digital Learning Games programme, we combine game design with interaction design and educational psychology to create serious games for education. This short summer course is based on some of the material used in the programme.
During this intensive course, participants will learn the essentials of designing serious and learning games. Students with different backgrounds from all over the world will form teams and design new serious games from idea to working prototype. Participation in the course does not require programming skills.
1.The nature of serious games
2. Examples of serious and learning games
3. Game design process and roles
4. Finding an idea and defining the goal for your serious game
5. Gameplay: challenges and actions. Core mechanics
6. Design of game assets
7. Narrative design in games
8. Game development environments
9. Game development in Unity/Fungus
The language of instruction is English, and participants are expected to have a reasonable command of the language.